Who's helping: Hastings-on-Hudson Recreation Department- James Harmon Community Center, 4 Main St., Hastings-on-Hudson (914) 478-2380
- What they are doing: The Hastings-on-Hudson Recreation Department will be delivering needed items to Breezy Point in Rockaway, Queens.
- How you can help: Drop off supplies on their list at the community center until 8 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 8.
- What they need: Jars of baby food, formula, bottles, wipes, diapers, cleaning supplies, mops, brooms, bleach, buckets, garbage bags
Who's helping: AFYA Foundation -140 Saw Mill River Rd., Yonkers (914) 920-5081
- What they are doing: This local organization is taking a break from its collections for Haiti and other African nations to help their neighbors at home by collecting supplies for victims of Hurricane Sandy.
- How you can help: You can donate need supplies at AFYA on Thursday and Friday (Nov. 8 and 9) between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. They also need help with sorting and bundling the items during that time.
- Here’s what they need: water, flashlights, batteries, non-perishable food, diapers, baby wipes, school supplies, new socks, blankets, linens, jackets, hats, gloves, backpacks, suitcases, garbage bags, brooms, mops, buckets, cleaning supplies, shovels, extension cords (waterproof), rain jackets, personal hygiene products, vitamin supplements (including Pedialyte and Ensure), glucometers, strips and lancets.
Who's helping: County Harvest - 49 Hillcrest Drive, Pelham (drop-off location) (914) 334-0741
- What they are doing: County Harvest is among the organizations trying to feed hungry Sandy victims, some who’ve been without power for more than a week. They are asking for help with their food drive
- How you can help: Donate food items any time through Monday, Nov. 12
- Here’s what they need: water, peanut butter, shelf-stable milk, tuna, chicken, salmon (in pop-top cans or packets), cereal, granola/breakfast bars, juice boxes, crackers
Who's helping: Food Bank of Westchester - 200 Clearbrook Road. Elmsford (914) 923-1100
- What they are doing: Donate food or funds that will help hurricane victims.
- How you can help: Donate by click here, calling or mailing a check to Food Bank for Westchester to 200 Clearbrook Rd., Elmsford, NY 10523. For every $1 you donate, the Food Bank of Westchester will acquire $4 worth of food. You can also drop off food to be donated at the warehouse weekdays between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Click here for a list of needed food items.
Who's helping: Family-to-Family – P.O. Box 255, Hastings-on-Hudson firstname.lastname@example.org
- What they are doing: Family-to-Family is asking for donations to purchase, pillows, blankets, winter gloves, socks, underwear, cleaning supplies, work gloves, face masks, batteries, flashlights and electrical cords. They also have compiled a list of places where you can directly send needed items.
- How you can help: Click here for a list items to donate, to make a monetary donation or to sponsor a family who lost their home during the hurricane.