Chanukah Wonderland 2012
- When/Where: Now through Dec. 13; 27 Center St. in Ardsley (Sun.-Thurs., 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday from 11 to 2 p.m.; closed Saturday)
- Why: Explore this gift shop that also includes Chanukah activities. For more information on call (914) 693-6100
- Price: Free admission
Letters to Santa
- When/Where: Starting Dec. 3 to Dec. 17; James Harmon Community Center, 44 Main St. (Monday-Wednesday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon on Friday)
- Why: Make sure Santa doesn’t forget anything on your Christmas list by writing a letter and dropping it off in Santa’s box at the recreation center. Don’t forget to put your name and address on the letter. No postage necessary!
- Price: Free
Chanukah Menorah Lighting
When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 8 at 6:30 p.m.; Legion Park [off of Saw Mill River Road (Rt. 9A), across the street from Addyman Squre] in Ardsley
Why: Join the Ardsley for the annual lighting of the Shamash candle on the Chanukah Menorah followed by music and refreshments. The event is sponsored by Chabad of the Rivertowns.
Build a Holiday Candy House
- When/Where: Friday, Dec. 7 at 3:30, 5:30 and 6 p.m.; Hastings-on-Hudson Public Library, 7 Maple Ave. in Hastings-on-Hudson
- Why: Make a candy house for the holidays, with this program for children in grades kindergarten through middle school (children in kindergarten and first grade must by accompanied by a caregiver). Please bring an empty half-gallon milk cardboard carton and a can of white frosting; the library will supply the candy. Please do not bring additional candy.
- Price: Free, please register at email@example.com
(* location change due to inclement weather) Friday Night Live/ Hastings-on-Hudson Annual Tree Lighting
- When/Where: Friday, Dec. 7 at 6 p.m.; James Harmon Community Center, 44 Main St.
- Why: See the village’s holiday tree sparkle with your neighbors, sing songs with The Hudson Valley Singers and music by Robert Lindener, eat some local food, or warm up with some hot chocolate and cookies at the James Harmon Community Center. Be sure to bring your cameras to the event— which is sponsored by the Hastings-on Hudson Recreation Department the James Daley V.F.W Post and the Hastings-on Hudson Fire Department—as there will be special guests at the community center.
- Price: Free
Tree Lighting and Caroling
- When/Where: Sunday, Dec. 9 from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.; Aldersgate Methodist Church, 600 Broadway in Dobbs Ferry
- Why: Watch this church illuminate its Christmas tree for the season, in addition to singing Christmas carols.
- Go: Free and open to all
Make a Festive Winter Arrangement
- When/Where: Tuesday, Dec. 11 at 3:45 p.m.; Irvington Public Library, 12 South Astor St.
- Why: Make a festive arrangement with the Garden Club. This program is for kids aged 8 to 12.
- Price: Free. Registration is required in person or by calling (914) 591-7840 and asking for the Children's Room.
Holiday Movie Night: The Polar Express
- When/Where: Thursday, Dec. 13 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; James Harmon Community Center, 44 Main St.
- Why: Get into the holiday spirit with a pajama party and viewing of “The Polar Express.” Come dressed in your pajamas and enjoy hot chocolate and some sweet treats.
- Price: $5, pre-registration is required. Receive a $5 program credit when you bring a receipt from a Hastings merchant (at least $5.00) at the time of pick up. Call (914) 478 – 2380 for more information.
Breakfast with Santa in Dobbs Ferry
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 15 at 9 a.m.; Embassy Community Center, 60 Palisades St. in Dobbs Ferry
- Why: Bring the little ones for breakfast and to meet Santa Claus. This program is for children in pre-kindergarten through third grade.
- Price: $5 per child
Breakfast with Santa in Hastings
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 15 at 10 a.m.; James Harmon Community Center, 44 Main St. in Hastings-on-Hudson
- Why: Break bread with Santa Claus over the first meal of the day during the recreation’s center’s holiday celebration, which includes refreshments, music and arts and crafts. Children can also get their picture taken with Santa and his elves.
- Free: Space is limited, registration is required. Register here or at the community center, or call Lisa O’Reilly at (914) 478-2380 ext. 642 or firstname.lastname@example.org. An adult MUST accompany children.
Reading of “A Christmas Carol” by Frank Connolly
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec. 15 at 2 p.m.; Irvington Public Library, 12 South Astor St.
- Why: Watch the Larchmont library and Irvington resident dress up as Charles Dickens and read from the holiday classic. The program s open to adults, teens and children.
- Price: Free
Dobbs Ferry Senior Citizen Holiday Luncheon
- When/Where: Tuesday, Dec. 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Embassy Community Center, 60 Palisades St.
- Why: Celebrate the holidays with a festive lunch for local Dobbs Ferry seniors
- Price: $3