- Correction: Allen Hart's work, not Adam Hart, will be shown on Oct. 11 - Nov. 4.
The way the sees it—art galleries aren't just a place where art is sold, but also a place where art lovers can commune and celebrate creativity.
Rivertowns residents can do just that during the "Live at the Up Stream" free concert series that meshes music with art at 26B Main St. in Dobbs Ferry.
"The galleries in the city do armory shows and different things, so we thought it was time for us to start modernizing," said Irvington resident Maralyn Matlick, a member of the artist cooperative. "It's really just a way of expanding what the gallery does."
Matlick, an abstract artist, came up with the idea to put art in the air and not just on the walls or pedestals of the gallery, which has been in operation for more than 20 years ago.
"The two performances we've had so far drew a really nice crowd and we have decided to make the series a permanent fixture," said Matlick.
Upstream Gallery will continue the series on Saturday nights in the fall and winter. The fall/winter call dates are Oct. 13, Nov. 10 and Dec. 8. Local musicians who are interested in performing in the future can contact Matlick at email@example.com.
Gallery goers will also enjoy wine and cheese in addition to the displayed artwork, which can be purchased by cash or check, and free concert. The next show is on Sept. 6 at 7:30 p.m. where Hastings-on-Hudson musician Matt Turk will perform, whil collection of art from the all of the cooperative's 24 artists is on display.
"I was thrilled to get a call from Allen Hart, a dear friend and incredible artist, to participate in the series Upstream series," said Turk. "Not only did Allen mentor me years ago when I was a student, but I own several of his paintings. To gather together at the Upstream is a dream!"
Here are the remaining 2012 exhibitions to be held by member artists at Upstream Gallery:
- Sept. 13-Oct. 7. Lanny Lasky Retrospective. Both galleries
- Oct. 11-Nov. 4. Allen Hart. Main Street Gallery
- Oct. 11-Nov. 4. Dave and Joan Rappaport. Second Gallery
- Nov. 8-Dec. 2. Maralyn Matlick. Main Street Gallery
- Nov. 8-Dec. 2. Susan Richman. Second Gallery
- Dec. 6-Dec. 31. Collaboration III. Main Street Gallery
- Dec. 6-Dec. 31. Group show. Second Gallery
Other coming events at the gallery:
- Sept. 16. Opening day reception for Lanny Lasky