Like its predecessor bistro, the new restaurant is French but with emphasis on using locally grown products. "A strong French aesthetic is being applied to American ingredients," Executive Chef Chris Vergara pointed out.
Saint George is open for dinner every day except Monday.
Brunch service begins in November
Beginning in November, Saint George will be open for brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The brunch menu will be à la carte and will include Lobster Benedict, a full raw bar and Bloody Mary's made to order.
The wine list is 100-percent French—more than ten wines are offered by the glass.
Happy hour takes place from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday with the following specially priced items available at the bar:
- Wine by the glass and draft beer at half-price
- Cheese and charcutie selections at $5
- Shrimp cocktail for $5
- Oyster tasting at $5
Entrées on the menu include:
- Whole roasted fish for two people served in a copper pot
- Thirty-two-ounce, bone-in Cote de Boeuf for two people
- Hanger steak or boneless ribeye steak frites with a choice of four sauces
- Lamb shank Persillade with pearl onion, carrot and pommes puree
- Chicken Fricasse with mushroom, carrot, peas and cognac cream
- Hudson Valley duck breast with apples, brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cavados
Vergara is a co-owner and co-founder of Meritage Restaurant in Scarsdale, opened in 2004, and a co-partner and Executive Chef at Harper's.
Steinberg grew up in Ardsley and was formerly with Harper's in Dobbs Ferry; both he and Vergara participated when Harpers opened in December, 2010.
Chef de cuisine Robert Fraser was previously sous chef at Meritage Restaurant and he also worked at Cafe Meze in Hartsdale.
All tables have candle light. Two 4-seat tables have river views. Some tables have mahogany tops; others have marble. No tablecloths are used in either case. The mahogany bar is nearly 120 years old and was retained along with the tin ceiling, tile, wood flooring, mirrors and some of the decorative items.
The second-floor dining room, currently under renovation, will be used for à la carte service as well as private events.
About 40 people can be accommodated at the tables downstairs and the bar has eight stools. Approximately 25 patrons can be seated in the upstairs room.
Kitchen hours at Saint George:
- Tuesday through Thursday: 5 to 10 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 5 to 11 p.m.
- Sunday: 5 to 9 p.m.
- The bar stays open late
- Saturday: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sunday: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Gwenael Goulet bought Buffet de la Gare in 1980. In 2005, it was sold to Luc and Nicole Dimnet because of Gwenael's illness. But when the business faltered, the Goulets repurchased it from the Dimnets in 2008 and renovated it. Gwenael died on July 19, 2011 after a long bout with cancer.
The restaurant is located at 155 Southside Ave. in Hastings-on-Hudson, 914-478-1671, www.saintgeorgebistro.com