If you attend the wine coupled, prix-fixe dinner at Plates on Wednesday, Feb. 6, be sure to stop by the bar first. Beginning at 7 p.m., guests will be treated at the bar to hors d’oeuvres and the tasting of Albarino, Carneros (2009). A seated dinner will follow at 7:30 p.m.
During the festivities, Peter Franus, a Napa Valley, California winemaker, will describe the history and characteristics of the wines being served, the grapes that produce them and the vineyards where the grapes are grown.
A transplant from Greenwich, Connecticut, Franus graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a degree in journalism but subsequently chose winemaking as a career instead.
The meal to be prepared by Chef Matthew Karp will begin with poached shrimp and avocado mousse in cucumber cup; three different entrées will come next:
- First entrée serving: Squid ink risotto with smoked shrimp, grilled octopus and calamari
- Second entrée serving: Smoked and roasted duck leg with Brussel sprouts; pomegranate reduction; Zinfandel braised endive; and parsnip puree
- Third entrée serving. Braised short rib with citrus and cilanto salad; dried beef; seared spinach; and chick peas
The wines accompanying the main courses are:
- First entrée serving: Sauvignon Blanc, Carneros (2011)
- Second entrée serving: Zinfandel, Brandlin, Mt. Veeder (2009)
- Third entrée serving: Cabernet Sauvignon, Truchard, Napa Valley (2008)
Dinner concludes with dessert.
The cost of $85 per person does not include tax or gratuity.
Plates was opened in 2004 after Karp and his wife Wendy bought and remodeled a historic structure in Larchmont—about one hundred years old—not far from the Larchmont train station. Originally built as a rest house for New Haven railroad engineers and conductors, the building had been converted to a speakeasy during Prohibition and then in 1950 to a restaurant by George Carl named Carl's on the Park.
In homage to Matthew’s plate collecting hobby, the restaurant was named Plates. The plates that decorate the walls represent restaurants worked at or visited by him.
To place a reservation, e-mail email@example.com or call 914-834-1244.
Plates is located at 121 Myrtle Boulevard, Larchmont, NY. www.platesonthepark.com.