The countdown to kindergarten is in full swing! In one week, I’ll be sending my first born off into her first "real" school classroom. I'm not sure who is more nervous – she or I! There is so much to be nervous and excited for: the bus ride, making new friends, learning new things, eating in a cafeteria, recess, homework, new teachers and more. And if I know my daughter, she will make the most of it by showing her sparkling smile and bubbly personality, and the teachers and kids will adore her (I hope). And knowing myself, I’ll be more nervous than if it was my first day, as I eagerly await the return of the bus to see her reaction as she gets off.
So in the spirit of this significant milestone in any child and parent’s life, I have compiled a short list of some of my hopes for her, to achieve during her first year of school and beyond. In no particular order, they are to:
1. Learn all of your classmates names and get to know everyone individually
2. Enjoy the comfort in having your best friend in your class, but be sure to spend time with other kids at lunch, on the playground and on the bus
3. Tell me one great thing and one not so great thing about school each day
4. Learn to read and practice, practice, practice
5. Not be bullied or be a bully, and speak up if you see bullying happening
6. Befriend someone in the class who doesn’t know anyone
7. Learn a little math, a little spelling and a little science
8. Bring home a new library book once a week
9. Try something new from the cafeteria each week
10. Stay true to yourself
11. Do your school assignments carefully and ask for help when it’s needed
12. Be kind to everyone: the custodians, librarians, bus driver, teachers and other kids
13. Remember to wait your turn, raise your hand and overall, be a good student and friend
14. Learn from your mistakes
15. Don’t whine, cheat or complain – everyone is in the same boat
I know that my big girl will board the bus with excitement and trepidation and I’ll watch with tears in my eyes and wonder how she grew up so quickly. It feels like just yesterday that I watched her walk into her preschool classroom and in the blink of an eye, kindergarten is here.
What hopes do you have for your school children this year? Share them below!