On Monday night, Hastings' Board of Education voted to approve the appointment of—a highly-recommended New Jersey administrator—as superintendent of schools for a base salary of $235,000.
Last spring, the Dobbs Ferry schools hired Dr. Lisa Brady—also a former New Jersey district leader—with a base salary of $225,000.
While Irvington's school board won't disclose a salary range they're willing to offer the district's next superintendent, they pay Interim Superintendent —in addition to his state retirement pension.
The average salary for a public school superintendent in New York is $165, 464, said Robert Lowry, deputy director of the New York State Council of School Superintendents. "They tend to be higher downstate and lower upstate."
- According to monster.com, the average salary for a head of nursing at a hospital in a United States is $180,372.
- According to monster.com, the average salary for a CEO of a bank in the United States is $709,492.
- The median salary for an art director at an advertising agency in New York City is $112,542, according to salary.com.
- The top gas supply executive in a utility company's median income is $176,493, according to salary.com.
- According to Matt Schwartz—president of MJS Search in Scarsdale—a vice president of marketing in a mid-sized pharmaceutical company makes around $250,000.
- Schwartz said most mid-sized media or technology companies in the tri-state area were willing to pay $300,000 for a VP of sales.
How should school superintendents' salaries compare to those of other professionals?