Some things are too good and too precious to not share...
We should all be able to relate to this—and if you can't relate to at least half of them, well, it's time for a vacation!
Happy 40th Birthday, Lyons Den Mom! Hope it's filled with lots of childlike gestures, delicacies, and of course actual children!
Confessions of a(n almost) 40 year old child: Kerry Lyons
It’s coming. In just a few days, I will turn the big 4-0. I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about it. I am sure that I can’t possibly be this “old” given the many ways I still act like a child myself. Here are 40 of them, in no particular order -- just a few observations, confessions and aspirations in homage to my past 40 fabulous years and God-willing, at least 40 more!
- For starters, I love birthdays. And birthday parties and birthday cake.
- I don’t like fancy cakes. I will always choose an old-fashioned yellow cake with chocolate icing over a fancy gallette or anything with fruit filling.
- I am cranky when I don’t get enough sleep.
- I am really cranky when I am hungry.
- I don’t like to be kept waiting. I want what I want and I want it NOW.
- I love snow.
- I wish for snow days.
- I like building snowmen, making snow angels and even catching snowflakes on the tip of my tongue.
- I also like hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows; in fact, I expect it after a good romp in the snow.
- Sometimes I want my Mommy. Or my Dad. Thank God they still come running when I call.
- I like the Backyardigans. Ok, I love the Backyardigans. I've been known to comment (positively) on the choreography. This should embarrass me. It doesn't.
- I like most, if not all, Disney and Pixar movies. Always have. Even before I had five kids of my own.
- I love Mary Poppins and like to say (and sing) Supercalifragiliciousexpialidocious!
- If I could wear footie pajamas, I would.
- If I could still sleep with "Abearham", an Irish-knit clad teddy bear my "Mom-Mom" gave me from the now defunct Abraham & Straus, I would.
- I hate putting on sunblock.
- Sometimes I don’t want to eat my veggies and I do want to eat dessert.
- Sometimes I wish I could have Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes and other forbidden cereals for breakfast.
- Sometimes I want to stir my ice cream into a soup. Possibly a soup with chocolate chips and/or sprinkles floating in it.
- My perfect day would include a trip to a zoo...
- … or an aquarium. I love a good aquarium! I especially like the "touch pools" with starfish and eels. (I also like those traditional petting zoos with billy goats you can feed by hand!)
- When I wear high heels, I feel like I’m playing dress up. I like to play dress up.
- I say “like” too much.
- Sometimes I’m too excited to sleep – typically on Christmas Eve or the night before vacation.
- A small part of me still believes in Santa. In the magic of Christmas. I love to run down the stairs and see what's under the tree -- even though these days, I've put most of the gifts there myself.
- I like presents. I like getting them and giving them. I really like getting them.
- I like bubble baths. I wish I could take them more often.
- I must touch all dogs. Especially big fluffy ones. I just can’t resist.
- I occasionally throw a wicked tantrum. It’s not pretty. I’m not proud of it but, it’s true.
- I really like Mac & Cheese. And grilled cheese. While I'm at it, chicken nuggets aren't so bad either.
- I have a fondness for McNuggets thanks to a fond memory of my first trip to McDonald's with my Pop-Pop.
- I love a place called Sundae School, again thanks to Pop-Pop. Mint chip sundaes with hot fudge, homemade whipped cream and a real cherry will always be one of my favorite things.
- I love to sing "My Favorite Things." I love The Sound of Music. I still get scared at parts.
- Sometimes I don’t like sharing. Especially blueberries. I love blueberries.
- Sometimes I want to play hooky.
- Sometimes I don't want to make my bed, wash my face or brush my teeth.
- I actually like milk with dinner. Especially with meatballs and spaghetti. Weird, right?
- I tend to trust people. I believe most people are inherently good.
- I believe that dreams can come true.
- I still make a wish when the clock turns 11:11, when I throw a penny in a fountain, when a stray eyelash is blown away and of course, when I blow out my birthday candles. I believe these wishes will come true. In fact, many already have.
So, with 40 just around the corner and this list in hand, I am truly grateful for my family and friends. They humor my childlike whims and tolerate my occasional tantrums; they have shaped who I am today and will influence who I become tomorrow. I hope they surround me as I blow out the candles for the years to come; if they do, that will be just one more wish come true.