Officials are blaming a leaky butane can for a small explosion that left scorch marks and burned up some papers at The Cookery, a restaurant at 39 Chestnut St. in Dobbs Ferry, on Tuesday.
The Dobbs Ferry Volunteer Fire Department believes that the leak in the can caused the basement to fill with the gas. When the butane was lit, it exploded around 6:42 p.m. The Dobbs Ferry Volunteer Ambulance Corp took two of the employees to Westchester County Medical Center for minor burns.
Officials said there were about 30 people who were in the upstairs dining room heard a loud noise and some said they felt the building shake. The building, including the two apartments above the restaurant, was evacuated. The residents of the apartment were allowed back in around 9 p.m., but still do not have gas service as it has been shut off in the building. The Cookery is closed and will require some repairs before they re-open, officials said.
The village’s building inspector, Dobbs Ferry Police Department, Westchester County Health Department and Con Edison were also all on scene after the incident.