The Irvington Public Library is still closed after a Jan. 23 kitchen fire in an apartment at the Burnham Building caused significant water damage to the library, which is attached to the apartment complex.
“We are grateful that no one was injured and the thanks to the swift response from the Irvington Fire Department, the fire was contained within that apartment,” said Irvington Public Library Director Pam Strachan. “Unfortunately, the library has suffered substantial water damage. Clean up is underway, but the library will be temporarily closed until further notice."
Strachan, said she is anxious to re-open, is asking library patrons to check the library's website at irvingtonlibrary.org for updates on when the facility will be up and running again. Inspectors are currently assessing whether it safe to let people back into the library—which mostly sustained water damage in the young adult section, destroying some books.
The fire, which broke out around 3:17 p.m., was started by mishandled oil from a eucalyptus oil candle that ignited contents in the kitchen. The fire was contained in the apartment since the building’s sprinkler system largely extinguished the flames before the Irvington Fire Department arrived.
“This incident clearly shows how fire suppression systems really help save lives and property,” said Irvington Fire Chief James Ruffler.
Firefighters extinguish the remaining small flames, shut off the sprinkler system and helped to contain the water that the sprinkler let off. The 50-year-old woman who lives in the apartment had to be relocated and was offered assistance by the Red Cross.