See what Rivertowns alumni are up to in the college worlds of sports.
- This week’s spotlight is on Samantha Lee of Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley High School Class of 2012. The freshman epee specialist, Lee of the Duke Blue Devils' fencing team had a big day on Feb. 3 at the M.I.T. Duals. She and her fellow fencers topped Boston University 20-7; Brandeis University by the same score; Yeshiva University 20-0; N.Y.U 19-8; Stevens 20-7 and Brown 14-13. She had a record of 13-4 in personal epee competition, while her epee team ended up with a record of 14-4.
- Julian Saliani finished sixth out of 29 entrants in the one-mile race for Johns Hopkins in the Bucknell Winter Classic on Feb. 9 with a clocking of 4:21.27.
- In their closest win of the season on Feb. 8, the New Paltz women's basketball narrowly edged hosts Buffalo State in a 71-69 win with Pippa Mansdorf having two rebounds and one steal in the matinee. While hosting Fredonia on the Feb. 9 the Hawks clinched top seed in the upcoming SUNYAC championship with their 71-66 win over the Blue Devils. Mansdorf had one layup in the victory as the record reached 21-2/15-1.
- In a 75-61 losing game at Potsdam on Feb. 8, Ryan Riefenhauser of Geneseo had seven points on 3-6 and 1-2, plus having three boards and a game high of five assists. While at Plattsburgh on Feb. 9 in the 84-62 setback, he had 13 points on 6-7 and 1-2; plus three boards, three assists, three blocks and three steals in the game. The record is now 14-9/10-6.
- At Temple on the Jan. 26, the Johns Hopkins women's fencing team topped the State University of New Jersey, as sophomore Ilana Regenbogen of Ardsley out-dueled her foil opponent 2-1.
- Hosting a four school swimming invitational on Feb. 9 the Geneseo men's team finished first with Andy Schunk of Ardsley finishing third in the 100 butterfly, clocked at 54.59. While in the 500 freestyle he was sixth, with a time of 5:17.10, and his 400 medley relay quartet was second with a time of 5:47.18. Their winning total was 146 points.
- Hosting UConn on Feb. 9, the Colgate Red Raiders were out swam by the Huskies 177-120, as Tavy Smith of Dobbs Ferry and his 200 medley relay foursome finished second at 1:37.01. He was fifth in the 100 backstroke with a clocking of 1:21.11. He finished fourth in the 200 breaststroke timed at 2:20.17 and he was second in the individual medley clocked at 4:43.11.
- Playing 35 out of 40 minutes in a home game with St. Lawrence on Feb. 5, Kevin Dahill of Skidmore scored 11 points on three treys and one layup, plus had six boards and two steals, as the Thoroughbreds dropped a 67-61 decision to the Saints. The record is 14-8/8-5.
- At Oneonta on Feb. 6, the Oswego Lakers' women's swim team dropped the meet to the Red Dragons 145-81. Katie Flood of Hastings-on-Hudson finished fourth in the 200 individual medley clocked at 2:27.56, and then won the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:48.94. Her 400 freestyle relay foursome also were winners, as they had a time of 3:55.73. On Feb. 9, at the Geneseo Invitational, she was eighth in the 50 freestyle in 26.23, finished ninth in the 100 freestyle in 1:00.04, and her 400 freestyle relay team was eighth in 2:00.91. The Lakers finished fourth in the meet with 114 points.
- At Williams on Feb. 10 the Amherst Lady Jeff's basketball team suffered their first loss of the season 71-51. Marley Giddins had one rebound in the game with the record now 22-1/8-1.
- In a match at Plymouth State on Feb. 10 the Springfield College wrestling team topped their hosts 41-6 as Drew Longo pinned his opponent in 0:58 for a 27-3 win. He is ranked first in his 165-pound class in New England and the Pride ranks eleventh in the U.S.A.
Become a blogger today!
Get started now